Tuesday, June 08, 2010

A Million

Today's prompt:
You've just been given a million dollars. You are not allowed to keep it or give it to anyone you know personally. What do you do with it and why?

I've thought about this prompt all day and have actually thought many times what I would do with a million dollars if I won the lottery or something like that (not that I buy lottery tickets).
Of course this is complicated by the conditions of not giving it to anyone you know or keeping it. I've always thought if I somehow suddenly had a million dollars I would share most of it anyway.
So, to answer the prompt, this is what I would do:
  • first of all, I would want the million in $100 bills
  • the first place i would go is on a walk of downtown and give out a $100 bill to every homeless person I passed. In fact, I would search them out.
  • I would also like to surprise people at random places, like Lagoon, movie theaters, the zoo and restaurants. I would pay for admission for different families I picked out and then pay restaurant bills for families out to dinner.
  • I would go to some of the hospitals in the valley and give $100 bills to patients and nurses.
  • It would be really fun to stand outside any grocery story and just hand people a $100 bill when they were walking in.
  • I would donate a lot of it (this is hard to keep track of how much I've given away already) to the church via the humantarian fund and the perpetual education fund.
  • Some would be donated to breast cancer research in honor of my mother.
  • I would create a fund for families who don't have any money to pay funeral expenses for an unexpected death of a child.
There are so many ways to use up a million dollars that I don't think it would be a difficult task. I would truly enjoy the experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be so much fun. Like on that Oprah show, the big give. Or I would go to a hospital and help people with sick kids and no insurance pay their bills.

Susan Byers said...

That would be so much fun and rewarding!