Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Day of Preparation

This is the "off" year for my siblings and parents - meaning we are all with our in-laws for Thanksgiving this year. Its great that we've got it worked out like that.
So, this year Thanksgiving dinner is at our house. Paul's family is small - only one brother and one sister. His brother lives in Pennsylvania. His sister's family is old enough and both of her kids have kids so they do their own thing.
Our gathering will be very small - just the 7 of us and Paul's parents. A lot of years my parents will join us but this year they are going to my brother Parry's house. Even though it is a small group its still a lot of work for a dinner that is eaten in less than 30 minutes (if that). I really wanted to just go out but Paul didn't like the idea and I didn't want to deal with the crowds.
I talked with several friends about how they do lots of the prep for the dinner ahead of time and decided to try it out. I did the shopping yesterday and lots of work in the kitchen today (not really too much ahead but some). Once I got behind the idea I kind of got into the making of Thanksgiving dinner. I actually spent a lot of time on AllRecipes.com checking out alternative recipes to all the traditional foods. I actually got excited about trying a couple and worked on them today.

No comments: