Monday, May 14, 2007

When in need ...

My sister called today in a terrible bind and asked her I could help out. She is the team mom for both of her boys' baseball teams (she has 4 boys, only 2 play baseball so far) and tonight was the night for her younger son's team to man the snack bar. The parents are supposed to sign up for shifts of 2 hours and they need 6 volunteers at all times throughout the 5 hour night. She couldn't get anyone to really sign up and those that had volunteered were backing out. Her husband is swamped at work and wouldn't be able to help her at home or in the snack bar. So I took my youngest two to my mom's, took Brooke, her friend Emily, and Justin to my sister's to tend and then I helped Susan in the snack bar. This is more than a snack bar really - they grill burgers and dogs, cook pretzels, churros, chili, BBQ Beef sandwiches, nachos. And then there are all the drinks and chocolate and candy and really sticky messy snowcones. It was such a crazy night - the recommended amount of volunteers is six at all times - there were 3 of us in the snack bar and the coach was out at the grill. It was actually fun in an insane way. I felt like a teenager again working at the 49th Street Galleria. I was glad to help her out and it was actually easier than dealing with Jared and Kamryn, who are very much acting the part of the terrible twos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! That sounds crazy, and I'm glad you were able to help her. You could have taken Justin and Brooke to help you in the snack bar, too--wouldn't that be fun?

Janice said...

What a great sister you are! It actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lot of work, but at the same time fun. I know the terrible twos well. Hopefully come July they will leave! Take care!