Thursday, June 21, 2007

Changed Summer

Well my summer has just been changed.
Jared was playing on the trampoline last night with one of my Beehives (this was about 9:00 pm). She was doing ring around the rosies with him and when they went to fall down at the end she said Jared kind of fell on his leg and she heard a pop. I was busy with the youth activity at the time and Paul had his back to them while he was watching Kamryn, so neither one of us saw what happened. Jared was crying and Paul brought him to me. He had a couple scratches on his right shin and we couldn't really see what else was wrong. Jared cried for a long time and wouldn't put any weight on his right foot. I gave him some Motrin and he feel asleep for a few minutes. When he woke up he was much happier and seemed more himself. He tried a couple of times to get off the couch and play but as soon as his foot touched the floor he climbed back up on my lap.
I may be a bad mom but there was no way I was going to the ER at 10:00 pm. He wasn't hysterical and he didn't seem to be in much pain. So I thought it was better to get some sleep and see how he was doing in the morning. He went to bed just like normal and slept through the night.
When he woke up he was happy (for a minute) and sitting up in bed. He wouldn't stand up like normal when I went to get him out of bed. I picked him up and took him in the living room. He kind of felt apart at that point and wouldn't get off my lap. I knew right then that I was taking him to be X-rayed. I just had to decide where to go. After calling the pediatrician, instacare and the closest hospital, I decided it was best to go to the ER at the hospital. Luckily they weren't too busy (so we were only there for about 3 hours). The worst part of the whole experience was trying to get Jared's blood pressure taken. He hated that and wouldn't hold still so the nurses could get a good reading. He did pretty well through the whole xray process. He was really good waiting forever in our little room - ate his candy and cheetos from the vending machine. Played with the TV, changing the channels as fast he could with the remote over and over, pushing the nurse call button only twice. Finally the doctor came back with the report from the radiologist and he has a spiral fracture on his right tibia (shin bone). They put a splint on and wrapped his leg up to his mid thigh with ace bandages. He fell asleep soon after that and slept the rest of the time that we had to wait at the hospital.
He came home and spent some time watching The Lion King and Curious George on PBS before going down for a nap. He cried a little at first when I put him in bed but then went right to sleep and has been asleep for 2 1/2 hrs. He gets a cast on on Monday so it's going to be one LONG weekend. And an even longer summer. Wish us luck.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man! Poor Jared! I hope it heals quickly and he will be back to normal in no time. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Ok, this is not the end of the world. Since he's little and you can pick him up easily, you'll just have to be carrying him for a while, but pretty soon he'll be crawling around. He may not be walking on it for a while, but he'll be fine. Yes, it will be a long weekend until he can get his cast on, but remember....waterproof cast. Ok? Don't forget those words. It's not any more expensive and they give them a waterproof cast liner so that getting it wet is not a horrible thing.
Do you need some help? Go get a whole bunch of movies he likes or hasn't seen, and just let him watch tv a lot. You'll probably be holding him a lot this weekend, so just let your kids cook or take care of the laundry and give him a lot of mommy time. But really, once he gets his cast on, things will get better. Besides, you don't want to go outside right now, as it's too dang hot.

Janice said...

I live close enough, if you need someone to drop buy a bag of Wendys to give you a break, let me know. So sorry!

Janice said...

I live close enough, if you need someone to drop buy a bag of Wendys to give you a break, let me know. So sorry!

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy! My son broke is arm a couple months ago and it's such a traumatic experience. Hang in there.