Sunday, April 26, 2009

New Callings

Paul and I have both received callings in our recently reorganized, boundary changed ward. At the end of March we had a special fast and testimony meeting to hear about major changes in our stake. Our ward as we knew it was split in half. One half (the side we don't live on) was combined with the 4th ward. The half we live on was combined with the 10th ward and part of the 1st ward. We will continue to be called the 5th ward and we continue in the building we had been meeting at and get to keep the 11:00 time (YEAH).
The next Sunday after the split was General Conference so that gave the bishop's time to figure out how to combine these new wards. Our bishop, Harold Hinckley, did his best to meet with most of the families that were new to him. Our family met with him on Sunday and had a nice little chat. He asked us to tell him our family history in a couple of minutes. I've known the bishop for a long time because he was in my ward when I was a teenager. 20 years ago they took his street out of our ward to make a new ward. And now we're back together.
On Tuesday morning I got a call from the stake executive secretary saying that paul and i needed to meet with President Arnell, a counselor to the stake president. We figured that paul was going to stay on as Executive Secretary to the bishop.
WRONG!!
Paul was asked to be the 2nd counselor in the bishopric. Just what his very busy life needed. But he accepted the call and is glad to serve with this bishopric. He has enjoyed meeting people in this new ward. The hardest part about this calling is having him sit on the stand and not with our family.

Paul, Bishop Hinckley, Dan Hodgson
Paul is scrunching down so he's the same height as the others.

5th Ward Bishopric
(Paul at regular height)
Paul came home from a very long bishopric meeting on Wed night. There is a lot to do in this new ward to get it organized. Our ward in the combining of 3 wards had 2 RS pres, 2 primary pres, 3 YW pres plus 2 complete presidencies and advisors, 2 YM presidencies minus one president and lots more duplications on callings. So the bishopric have had a big job getting this all sorted out.
When paul got home he said the bishop had a calling for me. I asked him if the bishop was going to talk to me and he said he was supposed to do that. I told him that was bad because I could say no to my own husband. So I received a new calling from the bishopric at 11:00 at night.
Today I was sustained as the Ward Newsletter Editor. I was glad to accept this calling although I am very intimidated by the whole computer part of it. I had even mentioned to my friends that I would love to be a REPORTER for the newsletter just not not the EDITOR. Oh well, I'll figure it out. Now the big challenge is they want an edition out for next Sunday! Yikes!! And I leave to go out of town Thursday morning so I have to have it done and printed by Wed night. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Janice said...

Gigantic Paul looks so handsome in those pictures. You will do a wonderful job in your calling. Go LISA!

Susan Byers said...

congrats on the new calling, Wanna trade?

Lisa said...

sure i'd trade you. you'd do a great job with the newsletter. too bad it doesn't work that way.

The Martin Family said...

Ha ha ha! You will do an AWESOME job!