Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Friday the 13th

So, if you remember, it was Friday the 13th last week. Nothing spectacularly bad happened on Friday -- it all came the day after and continued through to today!

On Saturday, we went to Lagoon for Paul's work party. It was a great deal - $10 per person with lunch buffet included. Everyone in our family went except for Justin who was camping in Zion's.

Things were going well and the little kids were having a blast (more on that in another post).
We went into the water park about 2:30 because it was so hot and we needed a break from the long lines. While we were still in the dressing room the power went out and stayed out for about an hour. That actually wasn't bad at all for us personally since we were just going into the water park and I preferred it with the power out - no splashing water and no loud music. Paul had a nap and Brooke and I had fun playing with Kamryn in the kiddie area (Jared didn't want to swim because that meant taking off his sock, which was his "band-aid" on his hurt toe).
Eventually we decided to go in the lazy river and after I got out I realized I'd had my cell phone in my short pocket that I had just gone in the river with. I forgot I'd had it in there. So it was totally DEAD!
Then later on we were putting Jared and Kamryn onto a ride and Paul said "You have you're camera, right?" Immediately I was sick to my stomach. I didn't have it and I knew it wasn't in the stroller. I was sure he had it. He hadn't had it in a long time. I was just SICK, SICK, SICK!! It's a small little digital camera and I figured it was gone forever.
After thinking about for a little bit I remembered the last place we had it was the train. So I ran back over there and talked to the crew. This was 4 hours after we had been there. The employees were really great about looking all over for it but didn't find it. They suggested I check the lost and found and assured me that people really do turn things in.
So I went to lost and found and "Colton" helped me. I told him what had happened. He asked me to describe the camera and the case and then he held it up and showed me my camera. I couldn't believe it. I was so happy and I told him I could just hug him and kiss him. Then he turned it on and said "Is this your family?" At first glance I said yes but when I really looked at the last picture taken it wasn't my family. It was 2 moms with their daughters doing a self portrait. They took a picture of themselves before they turned my camera in. I love those moms!! And the rest of the night I kind of tried to look for them to thank them.
So I got the camera back but still had a dead cell phone. I could deal with the phone.
On Monday I went into Verizon and they actually a month ago just started covering water damage as part of the warranty coverage. So they replaced my phone for no charge!
Things were looking up.
And then the 13th came back to visit me today.
Due to the power outage we were told we could go back to Lagoon for free any day before the 30th of June. So today was the only day we could go. Justin, Brooke, our friend Mackenzie and I all went. Right when we got there I had to use the bathroom and I walked in and found $60.00 sitting on the floor and someone's sunglasses. I marched straight to the lost and found and turned both things in. And who was there but "colten" the same guy from Sat. He told me it was impressive that I turned the money and I reminded him who I was from Sat and the lost camera. He remembered me then and agreed that I had to turn the money in.
Then on with our fun. We were a little bummed because Rattlesnake Rapis and Cliffhanger were both closed for the day and we had planned on doing both those rides to begin with because it was really hot.
So we went on the waterslide ride instead - the one where you ride a raft down a tube down at the north end of the park. Well, my phone was in my pants pocket and I got soaked - and you guessed it, another water damaged phone. Luckily I took it apart immediately and put it under the hand dryer in the bathroom (Justin's brilliant idea) and after a little bit I got it to power up and it seemed okay. Thank goodness.
Since I was soaking wet I decided to keep my cell phone tucked in my bra. BIG MISTAKE!
The next thing we did was go on WICKED and as we're going upside down I hear my phone drop on the ground. I didn't even feel it falling out. I couldn't believe it. I just got that phone yesterday. We had to wait until the park closed so the employees could go look for it. They thought they found it in pieces but it was another guys phone that looked almost exactly like mine. They never did find anything of my phone except for the battery. What a BIG BUMMER!! I don't think I'm going to be so lucky at the Verizon store tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness. You'd think that you would learn to leave the phone in the diaper bag, or bring little ziplock baggies for the wet rides. We now do this, since Ryan soaked a palm pilot doing this one year.

But at least you got another whole day at Lagoon for FREE! That's about worth the price of a phone, right?

Good luck at the Vorizon store.

Melinda said...

Oh, dear! Paul ruined a phone at Lagoon last year. We now pack baggies for the wet rides. Have to say I never thought to stick my phone in my bra, though! You ought to go to a different Verizon store this time!

The Egg Basket said...

You are so funny! I don't know what the better part of the story is... that you soaked your phone twice or that you saved it and then dropped it. Too funny.

Susan Byers said...

I can't believe all that. I never would have thought of plastic baggies for my phone.