Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Swimming

I've taken Jared and Kamryn swimming twice in the last week. I've been concerned that they like the water since we are going on vacation to Florida and I want them to have fun at the water parks, in the pool and at the beach.
I don't have to worry about Kamryn - she loves it and has no fear. It's so much to watch her. At the rec center behind our house they have two indoor pools that are perfect for toddlers. One is the splash zone and has a frog slide and lots of water "toys" and a playground to climb on and a regular enclosed water slide. She loves the frog slide and went down about 50 times in a row.
Now, Jared, on the other hand, does not love it. The first time he didn't really want to get in but I made him. He was okay as long as he was clinging to me and eventually that turned into sitting on my lap and watching his sister have fun. I feel bad for him that he's so hesitant about some things while she goes out and has a good time.
After about an hour he finally had made some progress and was playing in the "umbrella" feature. Well, Kamryn headed off to the playground and that was too far away to go on her own. So I took Jared and we followed her. They had fun playing on it and Jared seemed to really like it since he was kind of out of the water. Kamryn watched the kids do down the slide and I could tell she wanted to go. I couldn't send her down by herself so I had to go with her and I couldn't Jared up there by himself so he had to go with us. So I went down the slide with both of them on my lap. It turned out fine and they LOVED IT - even Jared. So we did that about 20 times in a row. I was exhausted and ready to go home. They didn't want to leave but this was on Friday, early day in our area, and the pool was getting too crowded for me.
We went again on Monday and repeated exactly the same thing as Friday - Kamryn loved it from the beginning and Jared had to sit and watch and warm up to the fun.
It's funny how different they are.
I wish I had pictures to post of them swimming but that's impossible since I'm the only adult there with them.

No comments: