Monday, April 25, 2011

Great Getaway

Paul and I at the Washington DC Temple.
We took his dad back east
so that we could attend Jess's wedding.
She is Paul's brother's oldest daughter.
It was a beautiful wedding in a very beautiful place.

While we were there we did a little sightseeing.
We were in DC five years ago with our family and somehow
missed going to the Jefferson Memorial.
We decided it is one of our favorites.
FYI - did you know that Jefferson looks
directly on the White House
(there is even a path cut out of the trees
so his view is not blocked)
so he can keep his eye
on the president.

Me at the Lincoln Memorial

Paul in front of Lincoln's memorial

Me in front of the Korean War Memorial
To me, this memorial is one of the most striking.

Me with the Washington Monument in the background

It looks like I was the only one on this getaway.

Me again, with the soldiers fighting in Korea

Me with FDR
Unfortunately my camera died right after this picture was taken
and I had forgotten
to pack my charger :(
We somehow totally missed this memorial too.
We'd never even heard of it until this visit out I noticed it on the map.
Its an amazing tribute.

Paul and I had such a great time together on this trip. We also drove to Mt Vernon and went to the extension of the Air and Space Museum by Dulles airport. Its amazing how much you can get in during 24 hours. The rest of the trip was spent with Paul's brother's family who live outside of Philadelphia. We enjoyed hanging out with them and going to the wedding reception.

One of the most enjoyable things we did on this trip was read a book together. I started it on the plane and kept telling Paul about this amazing story. He was intrigued by this true story so we ended up reading it out loud while we were driving and then late at night in the hotel. We both highly recommend Unbroken.

2 comments:

Susan Byers said...

What a great trip! I love the picture of you guys in front of the temple!

Stephanie said...

What a fun trip!! Matt and I are planning to go down there sometime in the next couple years. I've never been! I liked all the pictures. :)